In January 2016 I started trying to unravel the dates when the various ACTC magazines were published. Then, less than a month later, I was lucky enough to acquire, from MCC member Martin Webb, a veritable treasure trove of old trials magazines which not only filled lots of gaps in my own collection but also answered some of the outstanding questions. I have all of the magazines listed below (except for the first three years of Four Wheels Out when it was primarily a sporting trials magazine) so, if anyone wishes a scan of any particular issue, do please Contact Me by email using the link in the sidebar.
Four Wheels Out – the first “ACTC” magazine
Four Wheels Out started out, in July 1981, as “The Magazine of Sporting Trials”, changing its tagline to “The Magazine of Sporting and Classic Trials” in March 1984 (No.28) and keeping this tagline to the last issue in May 1987 (No.60).
- 1981 – July 1981 (No.1) to December 1981 (No.5). Five issues (no August).
- 1982 – January 1982 (No.6) to December 1982 (No.15). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1983 – January 1983 (No.16) to December 1983 (No.25). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1984 – January 1984 (No.26) to December 1984 (No.35). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1985 – January 1985 (No.36) to December 1985 (No.45). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1986 – January 1986 (No.46) to December 1986 (No.55). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1987 – January 1987 (No.56) to May 1987 (No.60). Five issues.
Wheelspin – the second “ACTC” magazine
“The Magazine of Sporting and Classic Trials”. Brian Cope was the editor of all issues.
- Volume 1 – No.1 September 1987 to No.9 May 1988. Monthly. Nine issues.
- Volume 2 – No.1 September 1988 to No.9 May 1989. Monthly. Nine issues.
- Volume 3 – No.1 September 1989 to No.9 May 1990. Monthly. Nine issues.
Restart – the third (and current) official ACTC magazine
After the demise of Wheelspin, Jenny Vowden and Anne Templeton produced a single edition of ‘ACTC News’ in December 1990. This morphed-into Restart, with Jenny and Anne as the editors from March 1991 to March 1993, and Anne Templeton (on her own) from September 1993 to November 1997.
- 1991 – Volume 2. March / July / December. Three issues.
- 1992 – Volume 3. March / July / October. Three issues.
- 1993 – Volume 4. March / September / December. Three issues.
- 1994 – Volume 5. May / August / December. Three issues.
- 1995 – Volume 6. April / September / December. Three issues.
- 1996 – Volume 7. May / September / December. Three issues
- 1997 – Volume 8. July / November. Two issues.
Pat Toulmin took over the role of editor from Volume 9, Issue 1, March 1998 since when Restart has been published four times a year, every year.
Triple – the MCC magazine
Triple was first published in October 1974 (the “First Issue”), then three times every year from January 1975 (No.1) to date, except 1992 when there were four issues. All the issues are consecutively numbered so, for example, after 41 years (1975 to 2015 inclusive) the Winter 2015 issue is No.124 (41 x 3 = 123 + the extra one in 1992 = 124) although, of course, it’s actually the 125th issue as the “First Issue” was not numbered.
This Post was originally published on 25 August 2019 as a Page on this website and is re-posted here without amendment.